Wednesday, September 30, 2009

FUN FACT

For a little paper I'm writing about user tagging, I was looking at some of the tags applied to Dan Brown's new novel The Lost Symbol. The best by far is that he has been dubbed by someone "the jimmy buffet of literature" [sic] While the point is valid, it might carry more heft if Buffett were spelled correctly.

In conclusion
+ =











Long live pointless user tags, such as these

5 comments:

  1. i always thought of dan brown as the
    "thomas kincaid[sic]...painter of light"
    of literature.

    what was that rush song that you based that on again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a Rush song, called "Spirit of the Radio" with the following lyrics:
    Invisible airwaves crackle with life
    Bright antennae bristle with the energy
    Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength
    Bearing a gift beyond price - almost free

    Thomas Kinkade, self-described, and trademarked no less, himself as the "Painter of Light"

    He is quite the tool, so he, Jimmy, and Dan should all hang out. I do bet they are all parrot heads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard Deepak referred to as the Jimmy Buffett of combinatorics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. also, what user tags are you talking about? on the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah D, I sort of missed it on the first read...probably the whole blogging at 1 AM.

    I was comparing the way various sites control or do not control user tagging, and what a user can tag, such as all content, or only their own content. Amazon has no parameters whatsoever, so it is terrible. Flickr, Blogger, and Librarything do far better jobs, by giving more in the way of suggestions. Librarything also combines similar terms, i.e. masons, mason, and freemason would all be collected into the term freemasons.

    Controlled vocabularies are very underrated.

    ReplyDelete