which is NPR's "all songs considered". I'll tell you to add it to your google reader...and if you dont use google reader dont worry...i'm going to do a blog post soon singing its praises.
i guess i don't listen to new music. things i like that you might not think to listen to on your own: jolie holland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gME8DfCmGSA&feature=related), shel silverstein (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5ZVIpB4sw&feature=related), and aretha franklin's oh me oh my (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5ZVIpB4sw&feature=related).
THE LOW ANTHEM! THE LOW ANTHEM! Easily my number one recommendation.
I'm all over the place in music these days. THE TALLEST MAN ON EARTH has a pretty nice voice (but I'm pumped to see him add more instruments), NEIL YOUNG live in the late seventies is the vinyl I'm wearing out, Patrick and I saw THE RURAL ALBERTA ADVANTAGE and that's actually some decent drumming and over the top singing, MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT continues to blow me away.
But really, I'm all in some weird world where I'm listening back to stuff I wrote and how I pronounced words live and it's way too self-involved. But (I'm guessing) rather necessary if you want to be better. I shoulda stuck with engineering.
Yeah right. I drink whisky at noon. This is the life.
yo,
ReplyDeleteive already told you on that post a while ago, but
band: titus andronicus
album: the airing of grievances
i think its a pretty rockin album.
Also, if you want some pretty good recommendations each week i suggest looking at
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=37
which is NPR's "all songs considered". I'll tell you to add it to your google reader...and if you dont use google reader dont worry...i'm going to do a blog post soon singing its praises.
Actually I listened to TA on your suggestion and I agree. It is good. Thanks for the NPR link.
ReplyDeleteAs I'm sure you know, I don't listen to very much new music but here are some things that I have been listening to:
ReplyDeletecountry/alt-country: Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers, John Prine, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earl
hip-hop: Heiroglyphics or anything by Del The Funky Homosapien, A Tribe Called Quest, KRS-One, The Roots, Jurrasic 5
I was also listening to Elvis Costello last night. I think that "My Aim is True" is one of the best albums of the 20th century.
Here are the albums I have in my car...so the only albums I have listened to of late.
ReplyDeleteRolling Stones-Sticky Fingers
Marvin Gaye-What's Going On
Aimee Mann-Lost in Space
Huey Lewis & The News-Sports
Dungen-Ta Det Lugnt
I can never understand why Aimee Mann gets no air play. They are great pop songs, if slighly more of a downer than Miley Cyrus fare.
i guess i don't listen to new music. things i like that you might not think to listen to on your own: jolie holland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gME8DfCmGSA&feature=related), shel silverstein (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5ZVIpB4sw&feature=related), and aretha franklin's oh me oh my (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5ZVIpB4sw&feature=related).
ReplyDeleteTHE LOW ANTHEM! THE LOW ANTHEM! Easily my number one recommendation.
ReplyDeleteI'm all over the place in music these days. THE TALLEST MAN ON EARTH has a pretty nice voice (but I'm pumped to see him add more instruments), NEIL YOUNG live in the late seventies is the vinyl I'm wearing out, Patrick and I saw THE RURAL ALBERTA ADVANTAGE and that's actually some decent drumming and over the top singing, MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT continues to blow me away.
But really, I'm all in some weird world where I'm listening back to stuff I wrote and how I pronounced words live and it's way too self-involved. But (I'm guessing) rather necessary if you want to be better. I shoulda stuck with engineering.
Yeah right. I drink whisky at noon. This is the life.
One of these 2 albums could very well be the best of 2009:
ReplyDeleteLily Allen - "It's not me it's you"
Absolutely fantastic pop album. It's got solid beats, good vocals and poignant lyrics.
Rodrigo y Gabriela - "11:11"
Dueling Spanish guitars. Enough said.